Sunday 16 March 2014

Storytime; Job Fail.

Back in the days I would be so hard on myself, I wouldn't allow myself to make any mistakes. Looking back I realize how stupid that is, how am I supposed to learn anything if I don't allow myself to make mistakes?

Here's a funny story.
A couple months ago I applied for a job at this restaurant, and keep in mind I had no experience whatsoever. I had never worked in a restaurant. So everything went okay, I got the job. I was a waitress. Knowing I had a lot to learn, I started to have this weird feeling about it all. I just thought it was because I had a lot to learn. And I knew it would be a lot to handle. But I was feeling adventurous and went along with it.


So the day I got to meet my colleagues and we had this little presentation about working at the restaurant I already got lost and I arrived way too late. So I sort of met everyone and we got to see the restaurant, which was a new one. 

My first workday was a Saturday, and honestly I have never humiliated myself more.... It just didn't make any sense to me, I couldn't remember which people I've helped and which one I haven't. I didn't get how I had to take the orders with this small box I've got which looked like a calculator to me. Oh and let me not start about taking the drinks and food to the tables, I feel so lucky I didn't drop any sandwiches or drinks. But the amount of forks, knives and spoons I've dropped is infinite. Seriously. 

So while the day got worse I started to panic more and more. Up until this point I just disordered the entire restaurant. No joke. I seriously messed up the entire restaurant. I started to order wrong stuff for people, and didn't know which order belonged to which table. I left people waiting for like twenty minutes until they got mad. It was baaaaad. 

It got to the point my boss had to tell me to calm down, after the day was done, which felt like forever, we got to eat, sit down and talk about the day. And we came to the conclusion I just basically made all the mistakes that are possible to make.

So the Sunday I worked in another restaurant, and just my luck. The "big boss" came to eat there and wanted to talk to me because he saw how messed up I felt. And literally everything happened all over again. I just disordered the entire restaurant all over again. The girls I've worked with didn't even wanted me to help cleaning up after the restaurant was closed. So that was another disaster day. 

Long story short, I humiliated myself the weekend, and have never been that tired. It was the worst weekend, and I looked up so badly to the next weekend. I really, really didn't want to have another disaster weekend. 

The end of the story? I got fired the Friday night before I could start my next weekend of working. I seriously worked one weekend before I got fired. I was honestly so happy I got fired, because I  just came up with the conclusion being a waitress is nothing for me. I sucked at it. It was pretty hilarious looking back to it. 

The End!


Well, this was a funny life experience for me afterwards, and at the moment I didn't know if I had to laugh or cry about it. Everyone made fun of me, and weirdly enough it made me realize I shouldn't take myself too serious. These things happen, at least I know I'll never work in a restaurant again. 

What have you learned from mistakes in the past? Feel free to share your life experiences with me, I'm always in for some life lessons or a good laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment